Sunday, February 25, 2007




"My hair is bold like the chestnut burr;
and my eyes, like the sherry in the
glass that the guest leaves."

Emily
Dickinson



Thank You, Emily Dickinson

Emily, fair Emily
you were such a
talent, such a gift
a fragile flower blowing
alone in the wind
how do we thank one
so exquisitely creative
with words? I know…
We find you
and we read you
your heart laid bare
before the world
on paper sometimes
torn or curled at the
edges as was your
life, frayed at ends
only known in your soul
by you and by God
and we pray for you
that you keep on
inspiring us, and
wake up the young
to the beauty all
around them that is
found on a yellowed
page of a well-read
book and see the
heart and soul among
words crafted with such
tender eloquence that
make me feel you are
here with me when I
read your thoughts
and wonder if that
might be you at the
door of my heart's parlor?

Susie Melkus
02.25.07 ©

No comments: