Saturday, April 21, 2007

To our precious child...

To Our Precious Child



So courageous was one young mother

To give you birth and life

And her most heroic act of faith

Was to give you to us that night

For she knew she couldn’t care for you

In the way that would be best

We thank the Lord everyday for her choice

And pray that she’ll always be blessed

Though I didn’t carry you inside my womb

For nine months from the very start

Know this, our precious little and dear one,

You were “conceived in prayer” deep in my heart

As the Lord knit and fashioned you together

And you grew in your birth mother’s womb

Your Dad and I cried and prayed to our Lord

For a baby… just like you

Then when you came into this world

And I held you so close to my heart

It didn’t matter to me, or to us, that I’d not

Carried you for nine months from the start

Our God adopted us as His children

And with deepest joy we now adopt you

Trust that our love for you will never be less

Than if I’d carried you within my own womb

When God gave you to us, He gave us to you

And our prayer forever will be…

That you will grow in faith, find hope in His grace

And know that Love is always here...in your family


© Susie Melkus

04.21.07


I wrote this as I remembered my step-sister's adopted son, Sean. This is what I believe Clarann would have written had she ever done so. I don't know for sure, maybe she did write to him something like this. But Clarann, God rest your soul. You were a great mom and a wonderful step-sister. And to all those out there who courageously gave up their babies, their sons or daughters to be adopted...GOD BLESS YOU! YOU ARE HEROES!

No comments: